Thank you for your interest in working with the Canadian Women’s Foundation!
We’re proud to offer a diverse, collaborative, and flexible work environment — and strongly believe this approach enhances our work.
The Foundation’s staff members, CEO, and Board of Directors are united by their understanding of our history, dedication to our mission, and vision of advancing gender equality in Canada. It is deeply rewarding to know the Foundation’s work – supported by our dedicated donors – has a tremendous impact across the country.
Our equity statement: The Canadian Women’s Foundation is committed to equity in employment and seeks to attract, select, and hire a diverse team with a high level of professional skills, passion for and belief in our vision and mission.
Manager, Digital Communications
We are seeking a bilingual (French and English) Manager of Digital Communications to expand the Canadian Women’s Foundation’s digital engagement capacity to increase new followers and supporters and better connect with existing followers and supporters.
This position is both strategic and hands-on. It supports efforts across the Foundation’s departments to strengthen fundraising, grant making, systemic change, and thought-leadership activities. Reporting to the VP of Public Engagement, this position is key to the Foundation’s work to advance gender justice by supporting women, girls, and Two Spirit, trans, and non-binary people to move out of poverty, out of violence, and into confidence and leadership. The Manager of Digital Communications will be part of a close-knit, creative, and results-oriented team driven by shared values and purpose, in a collaborative environment with many internal and external stakeholders.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have experience using several forms of digital media strategically for acquisition, (re)engagement, and action-taking (e.g. donations, subscribing). They will have excellent communication skills and be proficient in English and French, both written and verbal, and be able to translate between the two. They will enjoy and be comfortable with a range of applications related to websites (e.g. WordPress, NewMode), email marketing (e.g. Luminate), social media (e.g. Sprout Social, Facebook ads, Pixel, and Events), and podcasting (e.g. editing apps). Even where they may not be familiar with everything, they will have an affinity, be curious and current with promising/best practices, and enjoy learning new things.
They will be results-oriented and understand basic principles of SEO, web analytics, and evaluation of digital engagement. They will incorporate constructive feedback and evaluation results, and be flexible on approaches to optimization. We are looking for a candidate who will bring enthusiasm, curiosity, and vision to this role. Opportunities for coaching and mentoring will be available, and internal and external supports will be in place to support success.
The ideal candidate will be committed to anti-racist/anti-oppressive practice and have an understanding of intersectional feminism.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy and Oversight
- Update a draft digital content plan that leverages campaigns and focuses on building acquisition of new followers and subscribers and (re)engagement and action-taking for existing supporters
- Contribute to departmental and cross-team planning efforts to ensure best results, keeping up-to-date and mindful of the entirety of the organization’s activities, objectives, and goals and how digital communications efforts contribute to them
- Recruit and support colleagues, partners, and volunteers to help with digital communications activities
- Grow engagement and followers by at least 15% annually
- Implement best practices in social media posting, email marketing, and petition-signing
- Update website according to needs and goals, using best approaches for diverse users, with accessibility standards in mind
- Coordinate and implement creation, editing, and delivery of bi-weekly podcast
- Support planning and implementation of digital events such as livestreams, meetings, and webinars, where needed
- Help build on and uphold strong digital communications guidelines and practices
- Regularly evaluate and report on results across digital communications platforms
- Report on results regularly and interpret results for improved future planning and performance of digital tools (e.g. email, social media, website, podcast)
- Apply a learning and evaluation lens to all digital communications to ensure they are best used for the Foundation’s mandate and goals
- Education – University degree or certificate program related to relevant discipline or equivalent experience
- Experience – Minimum 3-5 years related experience in non-profit marketing, communications, and/or digital media
- Location – This position may be a remote work position. No or little travel is required. Candidates from all over Canada are encouraged to apply. Some flexibility will be required to support efforts in several Canadian time zones.
- We are seeking a candidate who has a blend of skills and abilities including some of the following:
- Proficiency in French and English (i.e. to be able to translate content between languages and communicate with followers in both languages)
- Demonstrated ability to use many forms of digital media according to best practices for non-profits and fundraising
- Previous experience with digital communications, public engagement, and marketing
- Superb planning and administrative skills
- Ability to prioritize a diverse workload
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience in Microsoft Office and social media, email marketing tools, website tools, podcast development tools, and digital results monitoring/evaluation
- Basic understanding of SEO, UI/UX, and web analytics
- Experience working in cross-departmental collaborative projects
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (written and verbal)
- Strong relationship building and interpersonal strengths
- Driven and results-oriented in achieving business goals
- Accuracy and attention to detail with strong follow-through
- A strategic orientation, and solid planning and creative problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to work independently and thrive as part of a dynamic team
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism/anti-oppression and understanding of the principles of intersectional feminism
- Awareness of the issues related to gender equality
About the Foundation
The Canadian Women’s Foundation is a national leader in the movement for gender equality in Canada. Through funding, research, advocacy, and knowledge sharing, the Foundation works to achieve systemic change that includes all women. By supporting community programs, the Foundation empowers women and girls to move themselves out of violence, out of poverty, and into confidence and leadership.
Launched in 1991 to address a critical need for philanthropy focused on women, the Canadian Women’s Foundation is one of the largest women’s foundations in the world. With the support of donors, the Foundation has raised more than $130 million and funded over 2,500 programs across the country. These programs focus on addressing the root causes of the most critical issues and helping women and girls who face the greatest barriers.
The Canadian Women’s Foundation aims to be inclusive of diverse people across gender and sexuality spectrums. We focus our efforts on supporting those who face the most barriers and have least access to relevant services. This includes people who identify as women, girls, trans, Two-Spirit, genderqueer, non-binary, and 2SLGBTQI+.
The salary for this position starts at $60,000 and can be negotiated based on experience. There is a competitive benefits package and a generous vacation package. A computer with applicable software will be provided.
NOTE: this is a full-time, permanent position.
A one-page cover letter outlining why you want to be part of the Canadian Women’s Foundation and briefly summarizing your key skills and relevant experience.
A resume that provides an overview of your work, education, and volunteer experience. Include relevant links of your digital work. The deadline for submission is 5:00 PM PST on Tuesday August 10, 2021. Please email the document to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “Manager, Digital Communications” in the subject line.
The Canadian Women’s Foundation is strongly committed to equity in employment and seeks to attract, select, and hire a diverse team with a high level of professional skills, passion for and belief in our vision and mission. If comfortable, we encourage candidates to share information about their identities, lived experiences, and the communities they are part of in their covering letter. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for a first interview will be contacted. We anticipate 2-3 rounds of interviews before the successful candidate is selected.