This Valentine's Day, make a commitment to healthy love!
For every commitment you share on Facebook and Twitter from February 8-14 using the hashtag #HealthyLove, Margaret Newall will generously donate $2 (up to $2,000) to our Teen Healthy Relationship Programs!
Want to know why Margaret is supporting teen healthy relationships? Find out why she's made a commitment to healthy love.
Which of the 14 healthy love commitments are you making and why?
Of all the 14 commitments, to me no. 9 best sums up what is needed in an enduring relationship: "I will always speak to my partner with respect." I want my grandchildren to know, partners who respect one another will not try to control each other through violence. They will listen to and support each other.
Drawing from personal experience, what’s your advice for maintaining a healthy relationship?
To maintain a healthy relationship, each partner needs to understand that the other is a separate person, with his or her own needs, wants, and goals. Neither should be subservient to the other. Instead, each supports and encourages the other in the pursuit of their own goals.
Immature love means that, somehow or other, the partner is supposed to fill all one's needs. On the other hand, love is mature when each partner appreciates the other. As Mister Rogers said, "I like you as you are, exactly and precisely, I think you turned out nicely and I like you as you are!" This doesn't mean never having a disagreement. It does mean that such discussions are carried out in an atmosphere of mutual respect.
- Five ways parents can teach healthy relationship skills
- How to help your teen recognize unhealthy online relationships
- How Dads Can Help Girls Grow Up to Be Confident Women
- How to help girls feel connected
- All you need is #HealthyLove! Share your commitment here.
- Sign up for our e-newsletter to have our latest stories and resources sent to your inbox.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to join a national conversation on gender equality.
[…] Roses Are Red & Valentine’s Day is Straight Celebrate Valentine’s Day Without Lingerie and Roses Making a Commitment to #HealthyLove […]