We put the question out there because at the Canadian Women’s Foundation, we have our own dream. It’s that Canada will lead the world by creating the first generation to experience real gender equality. We call this dream GEN1, and it means that:
- Women and girls live free from violence
- Women and girls have equal economic opportunity
- Men and women alike practise inclusive leadership, which is collaborative and respects diversity.
When we asked you about you dreams for women and girls in Canada, we got a wonderful variety of insights and answers.
KATELYN DONG Student, Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, ON
“To have the same opportunities and same freedom of choice as the men do in Canada.”
BOITUMELO MOGOMELA Administrative Assistant, Royal LePage Shelter Foundation, Toronto, ON
“To see them free from all kinds of abuse, and to see them being able to get good opportunities like boys and men.”
VICKI SAUNDERS Entrepreneur, Founder of SheEO, Toronto, ON
“That we support each other, we ask for help, and that we’re radically generous with each other.”
Research Fellow, Canadian Arab Institute, Toronto, ON
“To grow up never knowing what it feels like for society to make you feel like you’re less than anyone else—that you’re less human, less important, that you’re worth less. To grow up knowing that our value is in being together, working together, and always striving to achieve more.”
Operations Manager, Canadian Arab Institute, Toronto, ON
“To know her rights, realize her potential, and have the confidence and support to achieve her dreams.”
Certified Financial Planner, Portfolio Strategies Corporation, Calgary, AB
“That parents in Canada will raise their boys to understand that women need to be equal. It is the invisible barriers that are the most problematic in advancing true equality for females young and old.”
PATRICIA WATERS Sales Director, BASc in Engineering, Toronto, ON
“To have them be much more aware of all the wonderful careers available in the science and technology industry and to be educated in that area as they’re growing up.”
To see even more people responding to our big question, watch the video:
- What was your most empowered decision? 9 women share theirs
- The Big Question: When do you feel most connected to your community?
- Join GEN1. Become a monthly donor and help us build the first generation free of violence against women.
- Sign up for our e-newsletter to have our latest stories and resources sent to your inbox.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to join a national conversation on gender equality.